Sunday, September 14, 2008

From the Editor's Desk



Recipe
Filled Apple Halves.
4 apples, juice of 1/2 lemon.
Filling:
2 1/2 tbs marg., 1 1/2 tbs demerera sugar, 1 tsp plain flour, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2—1 tsp cloves, 2 tbs chopped walnuts, 2 tbs coconut flakes.
Method.
Preheat oven to 200C. Halve apples and remove core. Squeeze a little lemon juice over apples to prevent discolour.
Melt margarine and stir in the remaining ingredients. Divide the filling between the apple halves and place them in an ovenproof dish.
Put dish in the oven and bake the apples for 15-25 minutes until soft.
Serve with ice cream, custard or whipped cream.
From the Editor’s Desk

As a famous leader said, “Life isn’t meant to be easy.” I had this newsletter ready to go and my poor overworked computer crashed. The paper was irretrievable. So here I go again.
What a strange winter we’ve had. First that wonderful rain—4 inches we had here—and then those wicked frosts. Fortunately they didn’t do much damage to my garden because of the rain beforehand. After the rains Linda warned we’d be in for cold weather and I pooh-poohed it. But, wasn’t she right? Our house was shut up for so long that I felt I was living in a tomb.
Now the weather is back to normal it is amazing how enthusiastic I’ve become (probably because the doors are open). Soon, I guess, I will be complaining about the heat…
Tourism is alive and well. We’ve had some interesting people drop by too. One, a publican who ran the Exchange Hotel here in the fifties. I didn’t get his name but I wonder if any of you remember him? As well as the several faithfuls who travel up every year we had a member of the BBC stay overnight. He, with his wife and son, came to get the feel of ‘real’ Australia.
The town population is still dynamic. Unfortunately Josephine, Zack and the girls have moved to Charters Towers to be closer to schools.
Tania O’Donald has sold her house. Welcome to Peter Borrison (Pedro) and his lady, Molly. It is so nice to have new neighbours. What a difference they have already made. The house has become alive again as the couple work to prepare it for their summer wedding.
Tania and mum, Kaye, were up to clear out Tania’s belongings. Both look well and enjoy living close to their relations in Springshore, despite the bitter cold.
How nice to see Helen and Noel Firth back from their long sojourn in Townsville. Hope the year ends on a high for them. Noel said their dog Bo was so excited to be back with them that he needed Valium to calm him down before he could finish the trip. It is hard when you can’t explain what’s happening to your pets.
You will note that there is a new page in the newsletter. Alice Folkart, a respected writer who has recently moved to Hawaii has joined us. When I mentioned I was starting again she suggested, as a joke, that she would be my foreign correspondent. Now she is. I hope you enjoy her stories as she finds her way around her new home.
Many thanks to those readers who have contributed to this latest newsletter. Your input helps make it a community paper.
Enjoy Spring. Happy Fathers’ Day to all the Dads.
Until next time, keep well. Frances.

No comments: