Thursday, January 29, 2009

Editor's Desk





It’s been another busy year with probably the best rains since we’ve moved here. Nicely spaced throughout the year too. So many different plants have flowered for the first time, including my crazy parrot tree, and have kept flowering. I see the rain trees are in flower—again. The fluffy flowers remind me of May Gibbs stories which were so popular when I was small, and the perfume is heavenly, especially at night. This year I discovered that what I had thought was onion weed, and I kept rooting out, was actually this pretty plant. Any ideas what it is?
The fauna has been varied this year too. I noted our resident kangaroo is back. I always get a buzz when I come across him in some paddock as I walk the dogs in the morning. Recently we have had lots of hawks follow us in these walks. Many more than we usually see here. We’d start with one or two and by the time the walk was done we’d have a cloud of them above us, like a canopy. Now there are quite a few black cockatoos around, again more than usual. That probably means something .
I must say the arrival of the fruit bats wasn’t so welcome. I worried that it may be a repeat of the infestation we had several years ago. Who would want to live through that again? As is, they at least leave by first light to go where ever they nest, and take their smell with them. Charters Towers, I noticed, have them back in force in the gardens.
Did anyone see the ‘Smiley Man’? The alignment of Mars, Venus and the Moon in early December? I missed it. Pete , who is a almost permanent camper at the hotel took a photo but it did not copy well enough to print. Thanks anyway Pete. A friend in the northern hemisphere pointed out that up there the man had a down-turned mouth.
I guess our high spot this year was the surprise visit from some friends from U.S.A. They rang when they’d reached Charters Towers, so you can imagine the run about we did. They were really impressed with their stay. Thought the accommodation was excellent and loved the casual atmosphere of the hotel. Nice to know not everyone thinks we’re crazy.
Christmas is almost here . Thanks to all of you who have supported this newsletter. I hope you all have a wonderful, happy time, that the weather is perfect and Santa is good to you. Keep the spirit of Christmas alive. Until January, keep well. Frances.

No comments: