Tuesday, July 29, 2008

For Your Information.

Today I received a letter in the post demanding that I not use the sender’s name, show photos, etc. referring to his home, wife, environment. This includes drawings (didn’t know my artistic prowess was known?). He also asked me to print a letter to the editor from him. I reserved my editorial rights..
I am sorry if I have inadvertently upset some citizens of this area. I report the news as I see it happen. Because this a non funded newsletter I feel I am entitled to my opinion.
I will not print any letters to the editor that are self-seeking or distort the truth. I will print news from the area. Especially the positive aspects. However, I will keep copies of letters received available for interested viewers.
The letter forbids me show many aspects of the growth of the town environment. So be it!
Freedom of Speech is not a Constitutional Right.
I may say openly what I think, and be denigrated by a covert group who can pressure me and spread false and unsubstantiated gossip. Law tells me I have the right to print the names of those who wish to gag me, plus photos taken from public venues, but the cost in time and money inhibits me. To me, this is thuggery, that bullies reign.
Surely Freedom of speech is one or our rights? If not – why not?

No comments: